[mythtv-users] Terratec H7 DVB-C/DVB-T with CI and used by mythtv

Roger Mårtensson roger.martensson at gmail.com
Sun Aug 26 19:51:03 UTC 2012

Hello!

I bought the Terratec H7 USB device for use in MythTV. Mostly because it
has CAM slot. And I noticed a driver for it was posted on the
linux-media list. Not long after the driver got included it also got
support for CI.

Currently it is found in the media_build tree. Not sure if it is
released in any release of Linux yet.

I'm happy to inform you it is working like a charm in my DVB-C network
and with full CI support. Both in SD and HD. Haven't tried the DVB-T
part but since it is the same driver I would guess it should work.

BUT!!!

I "lost" a couple of months testing this driver since I didn't get it to
work 100% in Kaffeine.

I was stuck in this state until I noticed a bugreport about another
driver. It was #10839 which didnt have anything to do with my problem at
all. What it did was explain to me how MythTV changes channel.

It was exactly how I was using Kaffeine to work around my problem.

The "bug" in the driver shows itself when I used these steps:
* Start Kaffeine
* Tune to an encrypted channel
* If that works tune to another encrypted channel
* Video does not show up. Close Kaffeine
* Start Kaffeine and it will show up the chosen channel

So the working "workaround" for the Terratec H7 driver is:
* Open device
* Tune to a channel
* Close device
* Open device
* Record
* Close device

The exact way MythTV is using acording to the bug report.

So my hope is that the MythTV developers will not stop using this approach.

Thanks again for an excellent piece of software.