[mythtv-users] Schedule with Maxepisodes records one too many with back-to-back recordings

Karl Newman siliconfiend at gmail.com
Sun Aug 26 16:46:59 UTC 2012

Well, I've been dealing with this issue for several years but now I've
started watching a show that triggers this every day and it's finally
annoying enough that I thought I'd dig into it more. I found this old
ticket: http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/6438 which seems to address
the situation I have. It's marked as fixed, but that bug might have
been for a slightly more specific situation. Basically, I have a
recording rule with "No. of recordings to keep" set to 3 and "Record
new and expire old" unselected. Normally, the schedule works correctly
and I always keep 3 episodes around. However, if there are 2 episodes
aired back-to-back (on the same channel) and I have one less than the
maximum episodes recorded, Myth will record the first episode as it
should but then it will record the second episode as well. Then after
it has finished recording, the auto-expire code will notice there is
one too many and proceed to expire the oldest recording. To work
around this, I have to look at the upcoming recordings and manually
tell the second airing not to record. The above mentioned ticket had a
patch which also checked for any recordings in-progress, but for some
reason it was rejected. I do have a 90 second soft pre and post-record
set up; not sure if that might be affecting this.

Should I revive this old ticket, or create a new one?

Karl