[mythtv-users] Live TV playback frustration

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Aug 24 16:07:45 UTC 2012

On 08/24/2012 12:02 PM, Jim Oltman wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 10:47 AM, Paul Gardiner<lists at glidos.net>  wrote:
>
>> On 24/08/2012 11:50, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>>
>>> In MythTV, Live TV has an implied contract that the Live TV viewer is
>>> the "owner" of the tuner.  If you were channel surfing and stumbled
>>> across a channel on which a scheduled recording is occurring and MythTV
>>> noticed and instead started playing back the scheduled recording, it
>>> would presumably "release" the tuner you were using for Live TV.  And,
>>> unlucky you, your wife just happened to start Live TV--and claim that
>>> just-released tuner--right before you hit channel up, again.  Now you've
>>> lost your tuner, so what to do?
>>>
>> That would be ok, wouldn't it (I'm thinking after reading several of the
>> follow up posts). Finding yourself restricted to watching what is
>> currently recording or what your wife is watching on the other front
>> end when all virtual tuners are in use, wouldn't be any more surprising
>> than finding yourself restricted to certain multiplexes when all your
>> real tuners are in use, but a virtual one is free.
>
> I think it would be OK.  Especially if the FE you were using told you that
> "The "INSERTFRONTENDNAMEHERE and the INSERTSHOWNAMEHERE are currently
> consuming all tuners."

Well, if someone wants to change Live TV, they'll need to write a
patch.  But I /still/ think the right approach is to notify the user
when they get to a show that's being/has been recorded and offer to take
them to that recording (and exit Live TV).  This way it doesn't change
the Live TV contract /and/ it tells the user exactly what's happening
and allows them to decide whether they want to keep channel surfing or
free up the tuner and watch the recording.

Mike