[mythtv-users] GT520/610 - whats the final word

blind Pete peter_s_d at fastmail.com.au
Fri Aug 24 07:24:01 UTC 2012

On Fri, 24 Aug 2012, Joseph Fry wrote:
> I know these cards are identical... that's not the question.
>
> I have seen a couple of discussions about them being too slow for Advanced
> 2x deinterlacing of 1080i content, even the the VDPAU page in the wiki (
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/VDPAU ) says it won't work... well it says "SD
> only, maybe HD at PAL frame-rates"... yet at the bottom of the page are two
> user reports showing that it works fine with 1080i content, are we to
> assume they are using PAL content (I'm NTSC)?
>
> This post (
> http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2432758&postcount=370) shows
> that the VDPAU testing tool pulled 67 fields at 1920x1080 in the "MIXER
> TEMPORAL_SPATIAL" test... which suggests that it should handle Advanced
> 2x... just barely.
>
> I have bought everything for my system except the GPU... I can spend about
> double for a fanless GT 430... but I don't want to if I don't have to.
>
> If you KNOW for certain that it will or will not work, please respond.
>
> Thanks!

I'm in a PAL country and all of the local broadcasters use MPEG2 not
MPEG4 - so you probably don't care what I say, but I have a 610 and
it looks OK to me.  According to this page
<http://www.nvidia.com/object/graphics_cards_buy_now.html> a 610 is
25% faster than a 520 and a 620 is on a par with a 430.  Not that I
trust any of these figures.  Is there any such thing as a fanless 620?

Is some content more difficult to decode than others?  Could you find
that a particular card decodes 1080i NTSC advanced 2x beautifully - until
the action starts?  Or the network moves to a more aggressive compression?

--
blind Pete
Sig goes here...