[mythtv-users] Live TV playback frustration

mikkel at broerne.dk mikkel at broerne.dk
Thu Aug 23 14:12:40 UTC 2012

2012 at 9:42 PM, <mikkel at broerne.dk [7]> wrote:

>>> On 23-08-2012
11:10, Nick Rout wrote: On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 8:16 PM,
<mikkel at broerne.dk [1]> wrote: I thought I would through in my thoughts
and the reason why I chose Mythtv. Reasons for me choosing Mythtv: 1) I
live in Denmark and have only access to SAT-TV and had a sat-box with
buildt in DVR... so a combo of live tv and DVR. 2) I could not watch my
shows at the same time as the kids or wife and the other way around.
Open war when I wanted to watch sports. 3) I did not want to install
full coax cable throughout the house and have sat boxes all over the
place. I had gigabit network and wifi. 4) I love the stability and
simplicity of linux 5) I am no fan of Microsoft or Apple and fully
support open source Same for me to all the above ('cept I don't have
gigE, but 100 is fine). But I HAVE trained the family off live tv. The
kids often used to ask "Can you set up X to record, it's on Thursdays on
Prime" - once I did it a few times they learned how to do it and now
they do it themselves. I really have worked hard on the "don't watch
crap just cos it is on, watch something you like, something we have
recorded". Mind you I was never a channel surfer, always preferred to
watch a whole show, or if I didn't know there was something on I wanted
to watch, do something else. Read a book, go to the pub, go to the art
gallery, visit a friend. I also have a rule against changing the music
half way through a song, at worst you fade it out, otherwise change the
music in a quiet bit! While I have never had to ban liveTV to change
habits, it might be worth banning yourself from it for a week or two and
see how it goes :) Why is Live-TV essential for for my family 1) bad TV
habits - and I say bad because life is too short to spend on ½ a show or
mindless reality junk, but then again so is eating at McD's compared to
cooking a meal from scratch. I do both so shoot me. 2) Recording
everything would call for better organization of the recording i.e.
moving movies to MythVideo - Mike you support mythvidexport.py, but I
tried and it does not work, which is do to my EPG not being in English
(see thread on this topic.) And by the way Mike thanks for the help -
you were spot on. 3) WAF 4) The "thrill" of watching sports live is
completely removed by watching a recording even a 10 minute delay sucks
in my book. I wish I could do some programming at the level all the
dev's can. This way I could help improve the organization of recordings.
Sadly, as it is now, we have a hard time sifting through all our movies
and favorite shows. I cannot imagine also recording stuff that I might
like and all the junk my wife and kids watch :-D Currently I am stuck on
.24 and based on the dialog in this thread I will be for some time.
work can be summed up to Change Management. So I will always argue to
try a change, but it can not be forced without a risk of it blowing up
in your face. As I tried to write, we record everything of interest -
only exception is sports. We have used it for 1½ year and recorded close
to 750 shows The kids do record, but don't always watch it - there is
too much unorganized stuff.
>> Yep, especially so if your kids
programmes are generally quite short, there are a lot of 15 minute kids
cartoons, you end up with an awful lot of show names.

>>> As I see
it there is a general need for 1) stable LiveTV + 2) improved
interface/organization for recording i.e. moving recordings to Video
which is a superb idea, but the method I tried does not work.
>> Agreed
on both counts. What I want to do is 1) always (job queue) move all
movies to Video -> does not work 2) have a general rule that records new
shows all the time on our most favorite channels (and delete within 24
hours) Allowing users to "time tr

>>> use xbmc as a "frontend"?? Yes
there is a lot to like about XBMC! There is a lot to like about myth.
Take the best out of both and we'd be there....

> Regarding moving recorded
movies to videos, would it not be better to
> have mythtv recordings
show only TV shows from both videos and
> recordings storage group and
have mythvideo show only movies from both
> recordings and storage
groups? So it you rip a box set of a TV show it
> still shows up in
recordings and if you record a movie it shows up in
> videos without any
work from the enduser. We could have discussions
> about
auto-expiration, but I think that is just a matter of using an

algorithm that suits you.

> Thanks,
>
> Thomas Mashos

Auto-expiration I
do use for som shows and do see some good usage if I just could reduce
the amount of movies in my recordings group.

I don't rip...

Well to
be honest I am not sure how to go about "having mythvideo show movies
from both recordings and storage groups". I was trying to get
mythvidexport.py to work and thanks to Mike who got me back on track.
After that I found (like a lot of other non-English EPG users) it being
too faulty.

Anywhere I could get help?

Links:
------