[mythtv-users] Live TV playback frustration

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 09:10:43 UTC 2012

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 8:16 PM,  <mikkel at broerne.dk> wrote:

> I thought I would through in my thoughts and the reason why I chose Mythtv.
>
> Reasons for me choosing Mythtv:
>
> 1) I live in Denmark and have only access to SAT-TV and had a sat-box with
> buildt in DVR... so a combo of live tv and DVR.
>
> 2) I could not watch my shows at the same time as the kids or wife and the
> other way around. Open war when I wanted to watch sports.
>
> 3) I did not want to install full coax cable throughout the house and have
> sat boxes all over the place. I had gigabit network and wifi.
>
> 4) I love the stability and simplicity of linux
>
> 5) I am no fan of Microsoft or Apple and fully support open source

Same for me to all the above ('cept I don't have gigE, but 100 is fine).

But I HAVE trained the family off live tv. The kids often used to ask
"Can you set up X to record, it's on Thursdays on Prime" - once I did
it a few times they learned how to do it and now they do it
themselves.

I really have worked hard on the "don't watch crap just cos it is on,
watch something you like, something we have recorded".

Mind you I was never a channel surfer, always preferred to watch a
whole show, or if I didn't know there was something on I wanted to
watch, do something else. Read a book, go to the pub, go to the art
gallery, visit a friend. I also have a rule against changing the music
half way through a song, at worst you fade it out, otherwise change
the music in a quiet bit!

While I have never had to ban liveTV to change habits, it might be
worth banning yourself from it for a week or two and see how it goes
:)