[mythtv-users] Remote frontend connection fail

Joey Morris rjmorris at nc.rr.com
Thu Aug 23 00:02:21 UTC 2012

"Michael T. Dean" <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote on Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 07:53:10PM -0400:
> On 08/22/2012 07:16 PM, Tom corcoran wrote:
> >Hi
> >
> >I have a Mythbuntu 12.x setup with a remote frontend with same
> >version both running Mythtv.25, the problem I am having is that on
> >bootup of the frontend it fails to connect to the backend the
> >first time and proceeds on to the setup screen promoting for
> >country, language etc.  This only ever happens when the frontend
> >is booted up first as once I accept all and save all the existing
> >values in the frontend config it connects to the backend fine over
> >a cabled connection.
> >This is a real PIA for the kids etc and this issue only has arisen
> >since upgrade from .24, any suggestions would be grateful
> >received?
>
> Check all your config.xml and mysql.txt files everywhere on the
> system.  I'm guessing one of them is broken (perhaps empty).

This happens to me, too, but on a wireless connection. I've assumed
the problem is that mythfrontend is started before the wireless
connection is established. I don't go through the country, language,
etc. setup screens; I simply restart mythfrontend and it connects
fine. I reboot so infrequently that I haven't attempted to track down
the problem and fix it, although I think I've seen some discussion of
it on this list before.