[mythtv-users] New Mac OS X Build Process--MacPorts

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Wed Aug 22 22:27:33 UTC 2012

Craig Treleaven <ctreleaven at cogeco.ca> says:
> I truly don't understand how fonts are supposed to work with the
> combination of OS X, Qt and Myth.

It's a mystery to me, too. Font Book and /Library/Fonts |
~/Library/Fonts are simpler than the way modern Linux has xfs,
fontconfig, and /etc/X11/fontpath.d (Just how do they interact anyway,
if at all?), but it doesn't mean the OS X approach is necessarily more
straightforward.

> The MacPorts install puts the fonts that Myth ships with in
> /opt/local/share/mythtv/fonts.  "DejaVu LGC Sans" and "Fluid" are not
> among those.

Fluid ships with MythMediaCenter; DejaVu LGC Sans is part of the
dejavu fonts package that every Linux distribution makes available,
and some themes ship with it. (Themes come with fonts to ensure their
availability because mythfrontend on Linux can load them from the
theme directories; does OS X permit this?  Another mystery.)

Tried your suggestion to copy the fonts MythMediaCenter and Arclight
come with into the above directory; no change (with either version of
mythfrontend. I don't use either theme--Mythbuntu is my choice, and
TintedGlass isn't bad once the background's replaced----so it's no
loss, but I wanted to be comprehensive in my reporting.

--
MythTV FAQ Q: "Cheap frontend/backend?" A: Revo, $200-300 @ Newegg
Q: "Record HD cable/satellite?" A: Hauppauge HD-PVR, $200 @ Newegg