[mythtv-users] Live TV playback frustration

Mark Boyum circushair at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 22:05:01 UTC 2012

> I can't believe all the anti-live-tv sentiment here.  There are plenty of
> reasons to watch live tv where scheduled recordings don't make much sense:
>
> 1. background noise:  I tune in to CNN while I work and just leave it on
> most of the day with the volume low.
>
> 2. severe weather:  If I notice things are looking particularly bad, I
> tune in to one of the local networks to see if they are saying anything
> about it... may need to scan a few channels to find one that didn't just
> finish talking about it.
>
> 3. breaking news: If I hear about something major going on, I flip through
> the major networks/news channels to see if anyone is reporting it.
>
> 4. a change of pace:  I have a couple of dozen shows I record... but
> sometimes I want something different/new so I channel hop, watching a few
> minutes of this or that until I find something that keeps my interest.
>
> 5. KIDS!!  I don't know about your family, but my kids will watch just
> about anything that airs on Disney and Nick... if I told them that live tv
> wasn't an option, they'd give me a list a mile long of shows they want
> recorded... I'd have two tuners running around the clock recording stuff
> for the couple of hours /week they actually watch tv.  Far better to just
> let them watch what is on, they don't complain, and I don't burn disk space
> needlessly.  I just record a couple of their favorites so they always have
> something... just in case.
>

> First, I'm not trying to convince you to change your viewing habits.  What
works for your family is all good.
But we do not watch live TV in our house and here is how we handle your
situations:
1.) I can't stand "background noise" personally, I find it way too
distracting from the task I'm trying to accomplish.  My wife on the other
hand loves it and we record a plethora of shows that she can just have on
while she works at home.

2.) Both of our phones alert us of severe weather conditions.  I usually
turn to the web for more weather information rather than the tube.  We are
also planning on getting a weather radio.

3.) We're not news junkies and don't watch any television news regularly.
 Though we do record the nightly news in case there is a particular story
we want to watch.  I listen to public radio for the majority of my news
coverage.

4.) New shows are constantly added to our recording schedules.  In fact,
just this week my wife found a show in the recordings list that she hadn't
seen before and really enjoyed it.  If we can't find anything in our
recordings we resort to streaming sources.

5.) Our children don't remember a time without MythTV in the house.  My
oldest son actually has a hard time with the concept that shows are on a
specific channel at a precise time.  He's used to just turning on the TV
and picking the show he wants to watch.  He is very good at letting me know
if there is a new show he would like to record as well.

Like I said, not trying to force you away from livetv but don't assume that
other families perceive the same problems with only using recorded
television.