[mythtv-users] HDPVR switching provider (how to change listing) ? change to cable card.

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Aug 22 18:41:58 UTC 2012

On 08/21/2012 03:36 PM, Oz Dror wrote:
> Thanks to both responses.
>
> Regarding the cable card. Is it possible to use a windows machine to
> do the recording, but used mythtv to manage it with its nice UI.
> Otherwise is there a better choice than HDPVR. (it has been over 3
> years since I looked into changing my setup)

For any broadcast marked with the "copy once" flag, recordings can only
be used on the machine that does the copying.  Even if you use Windows
Media Center to record it (as it supports copy-once CableCARD
recordings), you'd only be able to watch it on that particular media
center system--you can't watch it on any of the extenders.  The same
holds true for TiVo recordings of copy-once shows.

Shows marked copy never can not be recorded by any device.

Shows marked copy freely can be recorded by any CableCARD-compliant
device, even if it's not in a "secure" system (like TiVo or WMC).  So,
with MythTV, you can only record shows marked copy freely--which, in
general, is only the cable copy of the local broadcast stations on TWC.

See http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Recording_Digital_Cable , and,
specifically,
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Recording_Digital_Cable#Option_4:_CableCard_Tuner
.