[mythtv-users] Linux/Android AirPlay client

Fred Watt fredwattmythtv at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 13:57:19 UTC 2012

On 21/08/12 13:45, Dave Badia wrote:

> On Aug 21, 2012 5:59 AM, "Fred Watt" <fredwattmythtv at gmail.com
> <mailto:fredwattmythtv at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> > Can anyone recommend a linux or android AirPlay client to use to
> test AirPlay functionality in MythFrontend?
>
> I've been using Honey player with mixed results (frequent skipping).
> The only fe I have setup for airplay has a bit of a weak wifi signal
> so it may be due to that.  On the other hand, my wifes iphone works
> well with that fe.  Be curious to hear how others fare with android
> and airplay.
>
> Dave

Honey player .. small cost.  I have tried twonky mobile and PlayTo lite
whilst both play to xbmc (airplay), either app can't see the
mythtvfrontend device.  Audio streaming from itunes verifies
mythfrontend is operational and it is very very good.  I have to say
xbmc's AirPlay is impressive it just works and works for audio/video.

I was interested to see if I could stream images/video to a mythfrontend
- though I don't have any apple devices.  I've read images are not
supported, but was interested in what would work.

With twonky you can stream over AirPlay, but whilst the XBMC appears as
both a upnp and airplay sink (device) there's nothing for Myth.

I wish mythfrontend had the rendering capabilities of xbmc's unpnp.
All interesting ... anyone else know of any client's worth trying?