[mythtv-users] more than 2 simultaneous HLS transcodes

George Nassas gnassas at mac.com
Mon Aug 20 21:25:56 UTC 2012

On 2012-08-20, at 4:06 PM, Chris Pinkham wrote:

> Please open a ticket and assign it to me.

Done. It's not very hard to delete and requeue a job so it's not like this is particularly important. I have a slowish CPU and to get around that use a post-recording job that precreates streams for certain shows. When the planets align I'll get three or four transcodes kicked off close to each other and of course the bug defeats my cleverness.

> I have already started
> rewriting the HLS encoder to do on-demand encoding of segments and
> playlists.  I'm not sure whether the current code will stay
> around or not,

I'm curious about how this is going to work. Right now you get an m3u8 file with the requested resolution/bitrate plus a second audio-only stream; it would be nice if we got a m3u8 file with all the common h.264 levels/dimensions/bitrates and the client could decide which to request based on its abilities and available bandwidth. Not really making feature requests, just wondering if I'm in line with what you're thinking.

- George