[mythtv-users] VDPAU picture degradation, possibly since 0.24 to 0.25 switch

Richard peper03 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 19 20:09:25 UTC 2012

On 19/08/12 21:40, Paul Gardiner wrote:
> For some time now I've felt I was getting worse picture
> quality than I used to. It's very subtle so I wasn't sure
> if I was imagining it or not, but now I have definite
> evidence that my myth frontend is the cause. It seems
> to be producing too high a contrast even though all
> picture settings are at 50%. It isn't because of confusion
> over studio and PC settings. My TV can be set to expect
> either, and I see the same problem with TV and Myth set
> to studio or with TV and Myth set to PC.

I've not noticed any problems like this using VDPAU but is it possible
the TV has more than one setting?  I've had something similar once or
twice and it was always due to the TV trying to be clever with
auto-contrast, auto-gamma, auto-whatever.  I even had the same problem
today because the gamma setting had been accidentally set to 'Energy
saving'.  The brightness of the picture kept changing depending on which
menu entry I had selected in Myth (presumably due to the background
image changing).

These settings are often assigned per input as well, so if, for example,
everything looks great on from a Blu-Ray player connected to HDMI1 but
terrible on Myth connected to HDMI2, it may not be Myth at fault.  You
would need to check that the TV settings for HDMI2 were also correct.

This may well not be the cause of your problem but it sounded too
similar to effects I've had in the past with TV settings to leave it
unmentioned.

Richard.