[mythtv-users] HVR4000 firmware on Ubuntu 12.04 (Precise) 64bit

plainfaceboy plainfaceboy at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 19 10:47:44 UTC 2012

> On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 11:29 PM, plainface boy
> <plainfaceboy at hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi - I've upgraded to Ubuntu 12.04 (to let me use the later kernel which
>> will hopefuilly fix the bugs in swithcing channels with this card), but
>> not
>> sure how to install the firmware.
>> I was using 1.26.90.0 as at
>> http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_WinTV-HVR-4000#Firmware_v1.26.90.0
>> which worked fine on Lucid (10.04), and Mythtv 0.25.
>> I tried installing using the same file etc but didn't work - realised
>> then I
>> should probably be using the 64 bit version. Assumed I would need
>> different
>> values for the 'skip' and 'count' but can't work out what they should be
>> form the file  - from looking at the hcwbda.sys file, it is obviosuly
>> different and the start/end strings (discussed in
>> http://www.mythtvtalk.com/firmware-update-hauppauge-nova-hd-s2-hvr-4000-a-12058/)
>> are in different place (and the end string first and vice versa etc).
>> I'm hoping someone might be able to help - I've seen links where people
>> have
>> reported it working 64 but Ubuntu - to save me messing about too mucb
>> with
>> trial and error!
>> Thanks.
>>

> You should be able to use the firmware from your old version of ubuntu
> as it doesn't
> have anything to with 64bit or 32bit.  It's the firmware for the card.
> What I have found
> is that I have to reverse apply a patch that was made to tidy things
> up in the hvr-4000
> code as it won't lock on to any DVB signals without it.
>
> Can you provide some log output from dmesg and explain what the symptoms
> are?
>
> Cheers,
> Paul

I seem to have got things working!
I did a fresh install of Ubuntu, added the "linux-firmware-nonfree" package
as this seems to include the CX24116 firmware. I did update it to the
1.26.90.0 though not sure how to tell which version I have.
I then downloaded the v4l drivers
(http://hg.kewl.org/pub/v4l-dvb-20100517/), and disabled FireDTV in the
menuconfig as usual, but compiling failed. I then wondered that (and I'm
guessing here) because I now have a later kernel I don't actually need to do
any of this.....so I tried Mythtv and it works. Only tested Freesat (DVB-S)
channels so far but seems to be good....