[mythtv-users] help moving recordings to video

Karl Newman newmank1 at asme.org
Sat Aug 18 03:36:33 UTC 2012

On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 4:24 PM, Michael Watson
<michael at thewatsonfamily.id.au> wrote:
> On 18/08/2012 2:34 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:

>>>      You can set up Watch Recordings so it's very much like the sort
>>> of layout you would see in mythvideo. I have recording groups set up
>>> for each of my recording rules and just display recordings based on
>>> that.
>>>

>> You can't do hierarchical layout in Watch Recordings.  You can't specify
>> sort order (other than by changing settings in mythfrontend setting that
>> allow you to sort by record time or original airdate or program ID,
>> only--versus by title, season/episode, year, rating, runtime, filename,
>> ...).  You can't do filtering on country, actors, year, runtime, rating...
>> You /only/ get recording groups.  You only get one recording group per
>> recording.  You can choose to show in the left column All Programs, titles,
>> recording groups, and/or categories, but if you show titles, you have a ton
>> to scroll through when your collection gets large.  If you use recording
>> groups like you said, displaying recording groups in the left means you'll
>> have a ton to scroll through.  It's /much/ more clumsy than Video
>> Library--because Video Library was designed for working with a large
>> collection (er, library?) of videos; whereas Watch Recordings was designed
>> for working with a smaller set of "what was recently recorded."
>>
>> Really, Video Library was designed for large collections of video.  If you
>> haven't tried "the new Video Library" and are basing your opinion off old
>> versions of MythTV, you're only making your life harder.
>>
>> Mike
>

> This approach works well, if you want to keep the material, I dont, but
> would like a better way to display the recorded shows.
> It would be good to be able to setup a "Category", and then select which
> shows would be grouped into that category, rather than rely on the guide
> data.
>
> I record a lot of kids shows, and use rules like "keep at most 5, and delete
> oldest".  Its useless grouping by category, as many kids shows are in
> animation, or animated, or childrens, and several other categories (This is
> the fault of poor guide data, not Myth's fault)

If you're talking about keeping them in the Recordings, you can create
a recording group for those shows, then set up those recording rules
to put the shows into that group. I don't know if there's an
equivalent function in the Videos, but you could stick them all in the
same folder which would probably accomplish the same thing.

Karl