[mythtv-users] help moving recordings to video

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Aug 17 14:11:31 UTC 2012

On 08/17/2012 06:03 AM, mikkel wrote:
> The length of our Recordings list has surpassed are ability to filter
> out what is "worth watching". My thought was therefore to move all
> recorded movies to Videos.
>
> This would also provide more info to review the unwatched movies.

This is exactly what I'm trying to convince people of--that Video
Library (MythVideo in 0.24) is a /much/ better location for keeping a
large collection of videos, and it makes sense to move any recordings
you plan to archive (movies or TV) to Video Library for long-term
storage. (And, more importantly, that it makes absolutely no sense to
try to "import" video of any kind--even recorded from a previous setup
of MythTV--into Watch Recordings when a) it's so much easier to put into
Video Library, b) Video Library was designed to handle any user-managed
video content, c) Video Library has excellent metadata for both movies
and TV, d) Video Library allows you to name the recording using a name
that will tell what's in the video if you ever lose your MythTV
database, e) Video Library allows hierarchical views allowing
user-defined organization, and f) Video Library makes it easy to filter
on any of a number of pieces of metadata (rather than only on recording
group).

In other words, I'm glad you chose this approach, and I'm glad that
you're helping others to see why it's so much better than keeping large
collections of video in Watch Recordings.

> I have therefore attempted to use mythvidexport.py
>
> Currently running .24+fixes and have other jobs that work just fine.
>
> All I did was:
>
> 1) Placed the file in /usr/bin providing needed permissions
>
> 2) Created a job /usr/bin/mythvidexport.py %JOBID%
>
> The only thing that happens is the job is added to the job queue… and
> then the job just sits there.
>
> Am I missing something?

Jobs must be enabled on one or more backends to actually allow
execution. By default all user jobs are disabled. You'll need to go into
mythtv-setup on one or more backend systems and change, "Allow User Job
#1 jobs" to enabled. The backends on which you enable the job will need
to be restarted for it to begin processing the jobs, but there's no need
to re-queue the jobs.

Mike