[mythtv-users] Video is 'x' frames behind audio (too slow), dropping frame to catch up

Jim Oltman jim.oltman at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 15:13:26 UTC 2012

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 8:49 AM, Joseph Fry <joe at thefrys.com> wrote:

> Realtime priority and extra audio buffering should only help in situations
> like this... though I would wager that the realtime option isn't actually
> doing anything, unless you made the prerequisite changes in the OS.
>
> Is your video card plugged into a full x16 slot, I know some motherboards
> have slots that look like x16 but are really only x4.  I doubt it's the
> issue but perhaps Blueray needs that extra bandwidth.
>
> Is the rip stored locally, or are you pulling it across a network?
>

>>  My question:  Is my setup just too slow to handle the BluRay bitrate I'm
>> trying to put through my machine?  Is it time for me to build a new front
>> end machine?  Or is there something else I'm missing?  Should I ditch the
>> GT430 and get a 520?  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!
>>

> GT520 is a step down from the GT430... you don't want to do that. (
> http://www.anandtech.com/show/4268/nvidia-releases-geforce-gt-520)
>
> It really sounds like your issue is with bandwidth somewhere between the
> source files and the video card.  The GT430 should handle all of the heavy
> lifting so long as you get the content to it fast enough.

The Dell says 16x (16.1) next to the PCIe port.  This makes me think it's
PCIe v1.  The chipset is a Intel® Q43 Express Chipset w/ICH10D.  The card
is a 2.0 card (Zotac GT430) with 1GB of RAM.  It's just full BluRay rips
that are having this issue.  I'm wondering if the chipset just doesn't have
the bandwidth.  I'm not really wanting to spend $700 on a good IvyBridge
setup...