[mythtv-users] mythmote App and minimyth

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Thu Aug 16 15:05:34 UTC 2012

On 16/08/2012 15:42, Mike Perkins wrote:
> On 16/08/12 08:22, Paul Gardiner wrote:
>> On 16/08/2012 03:32, Raymond Wagner wrote:
>>> If MiniMyth actually does not provide a copy of mythtv-setup to allow
>>> users to blank that setting and allow mythfrontend to listen everywhere,
>>> then this is a fine example of why not including applications is a
>>> terrible design choice.  I realize it is designed to take up a minimum
>>> of storage, but mythtv-setup is all of 360KB.
>>
>> So this living-room appliance needs settings made that cannot be
>> performed though it's usual interface? Someone has to access the
>> command line and provoke the machine into displaying mythtv-setup
>> in place of mythfrontend briefly to make the configuration change
>> and then provoke it into redisplaying mythfrontend? That doesn't
>> sound like an ideal design either. Or should minimyth provide a normal
>> desktop from which the user had to start mythfrontend each time
>> the machine is booted. Again not a great design.
>>
> Er, no. To access the backend setup parameters, provided that the slave
> backend is activated in the tftpboot config file, there's a menu option
> available once the front end has booted up. This allows you to stop the
> backend, run mythtv-setup and restart the backend.

Oh ok, a neat feature, but then that means you have to run a possibly,
otherwise unnecessary slave backend to be able to set a frontend
setting. I wasn't intending to criticise mimimyth
with my comment. I was more trying to rebuff the "not including
apps is a terrible design choice" comment, suggesting that the need
for the app is more the problem.

P.