[mythtv-users] MPEG-TS Issue

Karl Dietz dekarl at spaetfruehstuecken.org
Wed Aug 15 18:54:21 UTC 2012

On 15.08.2012 18:46, Ken Mandelberg wrote:
> I would like to stream mythtv recorded programs to my Android Nexus 7.
> These are recorded from an HDHomerun on Comcast cable and stored in
> MPEG_TS.
>
> Android doesn't support SEEK in MPEG_TS, so using the built in upnp
> service in mythtv gets me a non-seekable stream no matter which player I
> use on Android.
>
> I could ffmpeg to transcode to MPEG-PS which does work but is expensive
> even using the "copy" codec. I wish I could have myth just save in PS
> format instead of TS, but I guess thats not in the cards. Since I only

I don't understand what you mean by expensive. Shuffling bytes from TS
into PS is more or less a copy job of the whole file.
But instead of (myth)ffmpeg you can simply run a loss-less transcode to
convert TS -> PS, but you'll lose some streams (foreign language audio,
teletext, MHP and the like. I have no idea if that is relevant to
Comcast)

> stream to Android occasionally I suppose the next best thing is
> transcoding to PS on the fly.
>
> Is there a way to insert an ffmpeg transcode to PS into the upnp service
> in myth?

not yet. But it might make more sense to hook the HLS streams into the
upnp service if the device supports that. The HLS streaming service is
already written.

Regards,
Karl