[mythtv-users] Airplay alternative?

Michelle Dupuis mdupuis at ocg.ca
Tue Aug 14 15:24:17 UTC 2012

> To my point :=)
> As i am not an apple fanboy i am searching for an alternative solution
> for doing the same thing. What i would like to be able to do is send
> audio and video from (spotify,youtube) from my ubuntu 12.04 laptop and
> maybe from android devices. Is there any good solution to do this
> without buying apple stuff?

YES!  Have a look for 'shairport'.  Its open source Perl and C app to run an AirPlay (audio only) server on Linux.  I use this to send audio from my (windows, Android, Mac) clients at home to speakers in living room.  Works very well!

Warnings: Be sure to understand limitations of Airplay protocol (limited to subnet, obscuraties of Bonjour).  Also, if you need to run the C code there are ip4/ip6 bugs...but I was able to fix by commenting out some IP6 stuff.  Also, you will have to google to find apple's key (easy to find)

Someday the open source world will one-up Apple, but for now Airplay solves a real problem and does it well!