[mythtv-users] MythBuntu 11.10 on ESXi

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Mon Aug 13 21:41:45 UTC 2012

On 8/13/2012 17:03, Jim Oltman wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 3:51 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com
> <mailto:raymond at wagnerrp.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 8/13/2012 11:44, Jim Oltman wrote:
>
>         Still, I really want to use more RAM.  FreeNAS can use quite a bit.
>

>     FreeNAS will use all of the memory.  ZFS will eat up everything you
>     have, and then start swapping idle stuff out because it wants more.
>

> Yup.  I have 6GB allocated right now.  That's why i need at least
> another 24GB (Subsonic can eat a lot as well).

On ZFS, it's merely their version of the disk cache, predicatively
reading information it thinks you might need. If an application actively
wants to use that memory, it will release it for use. That seems like
all the more reason to put them all on one logical system, to allow for
more intelligent allocation of memory, and prevent the duplication of
disk cache between the two virtual servers.