[mythtv-users] A plea for some consideration for the poor suffering MythTV users

Martin Brown junki at internode.on.net
Sat Aug 11 23:31:35 UTC 2012

I think I've finally resolved all my issues with the assistance of the comments in this thread and elsewhere:

For reference, in case anyone has googled:
- Linux Mint 13 / Maya
- Mate / Gnome 2
- MythTV 0.25
- NVIDIA 9800 GT
- Realtek RTL2832U from DigitalNow in Canberra (because three tuners just isn't quite enough sometimes)

I had several issues including:
- Lack of the alsa sound firmware crashed the frontend
- No anti-aliasing
- Still video image remains on top of the menus after escape
- Really bad tearing of the picture
and some others which would have been resolved if I'd done an "apt-get build-dep" in the first place as pointed out.

1. First off, fix the apt sources.list to replace "maya" with "precise" everywhere except for packages.linuxmint.com
before doing a post-installation package update. (MythTV wouldn't even compile without this)
2. As detailed in the DigitalNow website, download the RealTek linux driver from github, build and install.
3. For the build-it-yourself MythTV system, download the latest MythTV and MythPlugins
4. Run apt-get build-dep mythtv
5. configure the MythTV build with --enable-vdpau
6. Build and install MythTV and the plugins
7. Run mythtv-setup add configure in the tuners
8. Run the shepherd program guide gathering system setup
9. In the frontend, set the Setup -> Video -> Playback Profile to vdpau High Quality
10. Run " nvidia-xconfig --no-composite" as suggested on the MythTV VDPAU wiki page
11. Fix the mythbuntu theme recordings-ui.xml
12. In the Mate Desktop Settings -> Windows -> enable "Use Gnome Compositing"
13. Install the mythbackend startup script and run /usr/lib/insseve/insserv to configure it for the various startup levels
14. Set up ntp to keep the time accurate

So basically, there was still a lot of hand assembly and fixing required after the basic builds and installs.

Thanks to those who offered constructive assistance.

Martin