[mythtv-users] 0.25 VAAPI does it work

Geoff B geoffbon at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 23:53:18 UTC 2012

On Aug 7, 2012 10:05 AM, "fred watt" wrote:

> Hi all -
>
> As a long time mythtv user I am unable to get VAAPI working. I am able to
view a mythtv bbc one hd recording in VLC using VAAPI (looks very nice) but
have never been able to playback the same or any recording using VAAPI in
mythfrontend.

> Does VAAPI work?  Has anyone had success?  Does it work at all in 0.25.
Any one seen it work with 0.26 beta?

> I am running Ubuntu 12.04, MythTV 0.25.20120506-.  I have tried the stock
libva/i965_drv_video with Ubuntu plus rebuilt libva/intel driver using
these instructions http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/VAAPI.  Each time the
playback in mythfrontend stutters and is completely unwatchable.

> But using  same libraries with VLC as follows delivers great video
(wonderfully to watch htop at this point and see almost no CPU usage -
excellent).  The video was recorded by mythbackend -  BBC Sports in HD.

> vlc --ffmpeg-hw '6050_20120805192243.mpg'
>
> I have two front ends i3 & i5 clarkdale same issues on both.
>
> I have been trying well over a year to get this to work - I really can't
see what I am doing wrong, or what else to try.  Any thoughts?

> "As an aside... we really love MythTV... we don't use it daily... but
that's the point we can watch what we want when we want..  Thank you."

I have an Ivy Bridge box (2500K),running Mythbuntu 12.04, and was never
able to make it work (again, VLC worked fine).  I eventually gave up - the
CPU runs at about 50% playing back HD, and it does commflagging in real
time, so my needs are met for the moment.  I figured someone would
eventually solve it.!
Cheers,
Geoff