[mythtv-users] Slow reschedule?

David Engel david at istwok.net
Tue Aug 7 14:45:15 UTC 2012

On Tue, Aug 07, 2012 at 03:06:39PM +0100, Stephen Robertson wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 2:48 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:
>
> > On 8/7/2012 09:44, Stephen Robertson wrote:
> >
> >> I've noticed in the backend logs that reschedules seem to be taking
> >> quite a long time:
> >>
> >> Aug  7 14:39:48 bressay mythbackend[1761]: I Scheduler
> >> scheduler.cpp:2093 (HandleReschedule) Scheduled 228 items in 70.8 =
> >> 69.92 match + 0.89 place
> >>
> >> I think that this is much longer than I remember it being.  Can anyone
> >> comment?  If it is slow then what can I investigate?
> >>

> > What specific version of MythTV are you running?  What is your CPU?
> >

> MythTV Version : v0.25.2-15-g46cab93
> Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     E7400  @ 2.80GHz

The first thing to try is to optimize your database.  There is a
script called optimize_mythdb.pl in the source distribution for doing
this.  If you're using third-party packages, it might or might not be
included.

Next, how many recording rules and channels do you have?  Also, what
types of rules do you use (record on any channel, record on this
channel, etc.)?  If you like, please send me the output from running
"mythbackend -v schedule --testsched".

Finally, if you compile mythtv yourself, I can send you the scheduler
patch I use with 0.25.  It's essentially the 0.26 scheduler changes
backported to 0.25.  For some users, it can make a big improvement.
Note, if you use this patch, you'll have to manually update your
database and then undo it before upgrading to 0.26.

David
--
David Engel
david at istwok.net