[mythtv-users] A plea for some consideration for the poor suffering MythTV users

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Tue Aug 7 09:54:15 UTC 2012

On 12-08-07 05:13 AM, Another Sillyname wrote:

> Why did you compile it yourself?

Indeed.  I wondered the exact same thing myself.

> Why didn't you just install from the repos using apt-get and all the
> dependencies would have been picked up?

OP's complaint comes off sounding like:

I've been an automobile driver for nearly ten years now. I'm also lucky
enough to have some auto-mechanic skills. I pity the poor
automobile driver who doesn't have a very broad range of skills with
building cars and auto-mechanics in general.

Of course, everyone's answer to that is "if building your own automobile
is no fun, and indeed such a pain for you, why don't you just go and get
one of them already built for you?".

Mythbuntu for example is an entire Linux distribution including Mythtv.
 [I presume -- I am absolutely certain I will be corrected if I am
wrong] you pop the install medium into your machine, boot it, go for
coffee and (roughly) come back to a working Mythtv machine.

Cheers,
b.