[mythtv-users] LIRC Serial using Kernel Staging Drivers

Rob Davis rob at davis-family.info
Mon Aug 6 02:25:45 UTC 2012

No matter what I try and do I can't get this to work again.

I am using Gentoo, which upgraded lirc on me, and I'm not 100% sure
what it did.

I have a serial port receiver and transmitter which has been working
fine for a few years.  Using kernel 3.4.3 I got this working using the
kernel staging drivers, however, using kernel 3.5.0 I can't get it
working at all.  I downloaded the source for lirc 0.9.0 to try and get
lircd working again.  However, I am not sure how to get this working
using the staging drivers.  It won't compile using serial giving the
following compile error:

/usr/src/lirc/lirc-0.9.0/drivers/lirc_serial/lirc_serial.c:69:24: fatal
error: asm/system.h: No such file or directory

Using driver none (as the drivers were in the kernel) says:
/usr/local/sbin/lircd -n -d /dev/lirc0
lircd: lircd(i2cuser) ready, using /var/run/lirc/lircd
lircd: accepted new client on /var/run/lirc/lircd
lircd: Cannot find i2c adapter
lircd: i2c device cannot be opened
lircd: WARNING: Failed to initialize hardware
lircd: select() failed
lircd: Bad file descriptor
lircd: removed client

So, how is the correct way to get the lirc_serial driver working these
days?

Wife was forced to watch Netflix instead of the Olympics tonight and
not happy with me.
/usr/local/sbin/lircd -n -d /dev/lirc0
lircd: there's no hardware I can use and no peers are specified

Using userspace itcuser gives me  this when I run lircd