[mythtv-users] Broadcast vs Logical channel ID

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Aug 5 04:22:32 UTC 2012

On 08/04/2012 02:46 PM, Geoff Danielson wrote:
> I'm trying (and have been trying for a week now) to understand what
> the deal is with multiplexed channels received over the air.  I've got
> reasonable signal (my TV will tune the digital stations just fine).
>
> For example (from my schedulesdirect listings):
> Logical channel: 2-1
> Broadcast channel: 27
> XMLid: 31566
> call sign: KASADT
> Name: KASADT (KASA-DT)
>
> When I try and watch this with mythTV (setting 2.1 as my channum and
> 27 as my freqid), all I get is static.
>
> Also, whenever I try to tune a channel, the static is only filling up
> a 4:3 box on the screen (TV is 1080p).
>
> Any advice?

You need to do a channel scan for digital channels on any scannable
input (i.e. pretty much everything except analog capture, firewire, and
CableCARD devices).  You can't just create channels with the channel
editor to test.  Did you do a scan with mythtv-setup?

Once you get a good channel, it should do the proper aspect ratio
(assuming you've configured X properly).

Mike