[mythtv-users] Problem with LiveTV from the EPG

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Sat Aug 4 00:31:01 UTC 2012

> > Up to now I have not activated that option, because I am worried about
> > getting patches that may break my system. I am just working with the
> > original 0.25 that came with Ubuntu. Perhaps it is time to get more
> > adventurous.
>
> Are you serious? You're having a problem with MythTV and are concerned
> that an update will break your system? I don't understand that logic...

Indeed, not a good way of thinking these days.  Always patch unless your
going to take the time to study the patches and determine that you don't
need them, you may be missing something important.  I'd hate you to get bit
by a bug that deletes data, corrupts the database, etc because you were
afraid.

Getting updates, even nightly updates, will very rarely cause problems.
 99% of the time they fix issues.  It is very rare that they backport new
functionality that may not be well tested and could introduce a new issue.
 And I expect that with the new accelerated release cycle we will see even
less of that then we had in the past.

Where you may want to hesitate is updating to the next major version
(0.26).  I typically wait for the first fixes release, or at least until I
don't see any bugs that concern me in trac.