[mythtv-users] Foolproof Mythbuntu start/restart irexec command

Ian Evans dheianevans at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 19:52:00 UTC 2012

On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 3:29 PM, Joseph Fry <joe at thefrys.com> wrote:
>> I'm looking for a script/command line that will restart the frontend
>> if it's frozen and start it if it's down. I don't know how to write
>> bash scripts, but I'm assuming the logic is if it's running "killall
>> mythfrontend.real" so Mythbuntu can autostart it and if it's not
>> running then "mythfrontend --service &"
>

> How do you define frozen?  What would you look at to determine if the
> frontend froze?
>
> You could easily create a "restart" button on your remote using irexec...
> but to have it happen automagically might be a bit difficult without some
> means to identify a frozen frontend.

That's what I'm talking about, a restart button on the remote with
irexec. And to be clear, what I meant by autostart, I meant that in
Mythbuntu if the frontend crashes, Mythbuntu already starts the
process on it's own and send out a grown notification. That's a
built-in feature.

So right now I have the remote send a killall mythfrontend.real when
_I_ see that the frontend is frozen and mythbuntu then restarts the
frontend. I'm not looking for the Myth box to "identify a frozen
frontend" as I'm doing that manually when it's 3:50pm and the main
screen is stuck hours earlier. :-)

What I need is a way for that same button to check if the frontend is
running at all in case I exited to do some other work at some point
and forgot to start the frontend. Right now we have to VNC in to the
box when that happens.

So again, the logic for the script is "If it's it running, killall
mythfrontend.real (so Mythbuntu then restarts it) and if it's not
running at all start it." but I don't know how to write bash.