[mythtv-users] A Plea to the Programmers

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Aug 1 18:21:04 UTC 2012

On 08/01/2012 01:38 PM, Steven Adeff wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 1:07 PM, Lee Maisel<maisel at lobo.net>  wrote:
>> I don't think it has to be a whole "screen reader" setup, just simply speak
>> whatever happens to be highlighted at the time.
>> I know the mythremote app seems to be able to tell you what is active on
>> it's little display up top, so it's getting the information somewhere.
> Similar to what is sent to the LCD screen I imagine?

Pretty sure that's just "net scraping"--using frontend network control
to poll the current location.  You could write a script that does the
same--and maybe have a remote button to trigger the query (rather than
constantly polling it), then feed the reply to festival --tts .

See http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Frontend_control_socket#query or, for
example, the query_loc section of
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythremctl.py (which could be cut down to a
very small Python script that basically just does the
frontend.sendQuery('location') to get the info you need ).

That said, official support for TTS would be wonderful.  But this may
give you a workaround until we finally get there.

Mike