[mythtv-users] A Plea to the Programmers

Devin Heitmueller dheitmueller at kernellabs.com
Wed Aug 1 15:41:14 UTC 2012

On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 11:34 AM, Lee Maisel <maisel at lobo.net> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> My wife is blind, and severely physically handicapped. She does enjoy her TV
> and music. She is able to listen to her shows, etc. She easily learns the
> functions of remote controls, etc. However, what is really needed is someone
> to write a voice add-on for MythBuntu.
>
> It should be very simple, using Festival or whatever speech program they
> want. All that's needed really is for whatever text that happens to be
> highlighted on the screen/menu/etc to be spoken!
>
> She can easily get lost in the menus and frustrated because if nobody
> sighted is around, she has no idea what the TV is doing because she can't
> see it!
>
> If someone would just write a simple addon to speak whatever is highlighted,
> that would be perfect for her.
>
> I would, but I'm no programmer.
>
> So I'm asking, if anyone feels like taking it on, please let me know. You
> would make her VERY happy, and end a whole lot of frustration for her.
>
> We are using the latest MythBuntu.

It seems like this is all about getting the Qt Accessibility stuff
working.  Anybody have any experience in that area?  Are code changes
typically required?

I found this article related to Qt Accessibility on Linux, but it's a
bit ambiguous.

http://labs.qt.nokia.com/2011/08/23/accessibility-on-linux/

Devin

--