[mythtv-users] .25 popup down menu redraws and flickers several times

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Apr 30 14:37:51 UTC 2012

On 04/30/2012 05:16 AM, Mike Perkins wrote:
> On 29/04/12 20:33, Rick wrote:
>> On 04/28/2012 05:11 PM, Thomas Boehm wrote:
>>
>> I normally use the mythcenter-wide theme.  Right after upgrading it
>> switched to the Terra theme.  I then switched it back to
>> mythcenter-wide.
>>
> I've suffered this recently as I'm in the middle of a migration from
> one OS to another. Couldn't understand what had happened at first.
>
> Turns out this is a red flag that you're not using the settings that
> you originally configured in the database, and in my case this was due
> to an inadvertant change in the hostname.
>
> In my case I changed *one* word in my default network configuration,
> to remove a DHCP/hotplug bug in Debian, and my hostname spontaneously
> changed from 'ruby.local' to 'ruby.example.com' on the next boot. I
> have no idea why. Lo and behold, half my settings disappeared.
>
> To Mike Dean et al: I changed *nothing* in my mythtv config to cause
> this. I have exactly one copy of mysql.txt and config.xml with
> symlinks to them from everywhere required. Nevertheless, mythbackend
> startup decided that I was operating a new slave back end.

Right, unless you specify a "LocalHostName" override (which we plan to
change to a much better name--and, possibly, completely dissociate from
host names), we use the host name, as returned by the hostname
application (we use code similar to that used by it) as your default
machine identifier.  Since all settings are keyed off of the machine
identifier, you end up losing your settings and going with defaults.

That said, if someone can identify the setting that's causing the
flickering, we can probably fix it--either fix the flickering or at
least fix the defaults.  It's likely some setting in the playback
profile group you get--though some have said that changing playback
profile groups doesn't help...

Mike