[mythtv-users] Keep losing p2p firewire connection on dch3200

Marc MERLIN marc_mtv at merlins.org
Sun Apr 29 06:45:07 UTC 2012

I had my DCH-3200 box connected to my mythtv and mostly working in broadcast
mode, but it would occasionally crap out.

I read that peer to peer mode is more reliable so I tried to switch to that
and got it working, but I seem to be losing the peer to peer connection
every time the cable box is reset.

So, to save power my setup is that my backend/frontend and the cable box get
powered off when not in use.
When mythbackend wakes back up (via RTC or because I want to watch its
recordings), it also turns the cable box back on.

With broadcast, that kind of just all worked.

With P2P, it seems like the poweroff/poweron causes the p2p connection to be
lost, and mythbackend doesn't seem to re-enable it.

So, I can reprime the firewire connection, which typically gets p2p working
again:

My initscript looks like this:

/usr/local/bin/firewire_tester -p -n 0 -r 5 || true
# http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/FireWire
plugctl -n 0 "oPCR[0].n_p2p_connections=1" || true
plugctl -n 1 "oPCR[0].n_p2p_connections=1" || true
sleep 3
test -f /etc/default/locale && . /etc/default/locale
LANG=$LANG /usr/bin/mythbackend --syslog local7 --loglevel debug --user mythtv

When I come back from sleep, though, I'm unclear as to what needs to get
fixed and in which order.

1) do I indeed need to reprime?
2) looks like I need to reset the p2p bit to on
3) then it seems like mythbackend has lost the connection to firewire and
   needs to be retarted, but usually if I restart it too quickly, firewire
   isn't stable yet, and sometimes it misses the firewire recording backend.

I can try adding more sleeps and kludges, but the delay becomes annoying.

Is there a way to make this all work, or should I go back to broadcast?

Thanks,
Marc
Microsoft is to operating systems ....
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/