[mythtv-users] Number of virtual tuners

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Sat Apr 28 15:10:23 UTC 2012

On 12-04-28 10:37 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:

> Max of 5 was chosen as "the biggest that makes sense for nearly all
> users".  The max prevents users who think, "more must be better," from
> breaking their systems due to ignorance.

Indeed.  The other way I see this frequently handled is to display an
explanation of the danger of going beyond a value and asking for a
confirmation.  Is that not reasonable here?

> Those who want higher are
> welcome to change the code--and fix any problems that occur as a result.

But what problems?  Somebody said earlier that it was merely a
diminishing returns problem due to a non-linear complexity growth in
scheduling with that many virtual tuners.  To me, that simply means that
the scheduler takes longer to get it's result or requires more resources
to do it in a reasonable amount of time.

What other "problems" are you referring to?  Is there additional
constraints (beyond simply scheduling complexity) that nobody has talked
about yet?

b.