[mythtv-users] hd transcoding and uploading to media server

Joel Means means.joel at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 18:54:59 UTC 2012

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 12:02 PM, jacek burghardt
<jaceksburghardt at gmail.com> wrote:
> I wonder if anyone has script that will transcode recordings to HD
> recording into smaller avi files that preserves hd qualityand then
> over nfs or samba or directly moves the file to nas and deles
> recording.
>
> What best format to transcode into ?

I have a script that I use to cut out commercials (I manually adjust
the results from commflagging to generate the cutlist) and transcode
to x264 using HandBrakeCLI.  I have the output directory set to an nfs
share from my nas.  I don't let it automatically delete the
recordings, but that would be pretty easy to add.  The output format
is setup to be AppleTV2 compatible, so it creates an aac audio track
and passes the Dolby Digital track through as well.  Everything is put
into a .m4v container.  The script also creates a text file with
chapter markers where the commercials were cut out.  It currently
depends on a tvdb script that I wrote to get the proper season and
episode naming.  I hope to change that to use the metadata mythtv
looks up, but that is going to take some effort since I will have to
parse up the output from the Services API.  You can have a look at it
on github: https://github.com/joelmeans/pymetadatamanager.  It is in
the 'extras' folder and needs a file from the 'lib/pymetadatamanager'
folder to work.  Make sure you check through everything and fix up
paths and such to fit your system if you want to try it.

Joel