[mythtv-users] Number of virtual tuners

Tapani Tarvainen mythtv at tapanitarvainen.fi
Thu Apr 26 07:52:27 UTC 2012

On Apr 26 09:19, Andre (mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk) wrote:

> When multirec was being developed 5 was decided on as the point
> where performance was still good on contemporary hardware. You can
> change the limit and re-compile if you need to, a friend's system
> handles 8 SD channels with no problem on a 2.6Ghz C2D, multirec set
> to 10.

I tested my box recording 10 simultaneous SD channels using two cards,
it worked just fine without breaking sweat (it's a bit overkill, having
been built out of leftover parts from another project, i5-650 &c),
so I guess it could handle even 20 SSDs, 10 per card;
disk subsystem might become a bottleneck though.

> with the way broadcasters are cramming more and more channels in to
> one mux maybe this default limit needs re-assessing.

Upping the maximum from 5 to 10 should be safe enough -
especially if the default is kept at 2 it should have no
adverse consequences that I can see.

--
Tapani Tarvainen