[mythtv-users] My HDHomerun stopped working with MythTV, but ok in Windows

Scott and Nicole Harris snharris99 at live.com
Wed Apr 25 18:07:34 UTC 2012

> On 25.04.12 19:29, Kane Tse wrote:
> > Okay, did some tests:
> >
> > 1) Using the linux hdhomerun_config_gui.
> >
> > Everything looks good (just like in Windows). So it appears not to be
> > a hardware issue, and also appears to be MythTV-specific.
> >
> > 2) New power wart.
> >
> > As I mentioned in my first post, this has already been tried.
> >
> > 3) Dying NIC
> >
> > I did an ifconfig -a and saw 0 dropped packets and 0 errored packets
> > on all interfaces. Plus, my during successful hdhomerun_config_gui
> > attempt listed above, I seemed to be getting a pretty acceptable
> > picture with around 15-20 Mbps data transfer rate.
> >
> > 4) I tried deleting ALL tuners in MythTV and then readding them
> >
> > Oddly, seemed to help briefly, but then returned 15-20 minutes later.
> > I am not 100% sure, but it may have coincided with a Hauppauge HD-PVR
> > that was not reconfigured correctly. I tried to replicate the
> > conditions (removing either my HD-PVR or HVR-850 from MythTV) but the
> > HDHomerun is still acting up.
> >
> > My next theory is to drop all listing sources and tuners and readd
> > everything again. Maybe it's a tuning frequency table thing?
> >
> > 5) optimize_mythtvdb.pl
> >
> > Also have run this a few times. My backend has been shutting down due
> > to overheating lately, even while flagging only a single show . I
> > suspect the thermal paste needs reapplication. However, I also
> > suspect the MythTV is trying to commflag the glitchy HDhomerun
> > recordings and it is consuming alot of CPU trying to process it.
>
> I'm having a very similar issue and have posted on the list too under
> the subject "hdhomerun and 0.25 gives me artifacts on HDchannels".
> I also think it's not an hardware issue as I'm having an old
> installation (mythbuntu 10.10 + mythtv 0.23-fixes) on the same machine
> and everything works fine if I boot up this.
> As soon as I boot up mythbuntu 12.04 (mythtv 0.25) I've glitches on my
> HD channels, SD works fine though.
> As in your case it also works fine if I try it with hdhomerun_config_gui
> and vlc.
> I also tried it on another machine (Centos 6.2 + mythtv 0.25 from
> atrpms) and got the same results there.

How current is your 0.25 version, and what sort of CPU usage are you seeing when tuning via Myth?  There was an issue a while back that caused HDHomeRuns to use excessive CPU time that made HdHomeRuns all but crippled for recording more than one thing at a time.  The issue was resolved, but I'm not sure it's 100% yet.  I still see some artifacting on my recordings when recording > 3 things at once (where I used to be able to record 5-6 things at once with 0.24 with no issues at all).  See http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/10414 perhaps it's not as resolved as we thought?