[mythtv-users] mythmusic 0.25 What's the fuss about?

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Tue Apr 24 09:30:52 UTC 2012

On 24/04/2012 10:21, David Watkins wrote:
> On 24 April 2012 09:48, Paul Gardiner<lists at glidos.net>  wrote:
>> It seems ok to me. After all the comments I'd seen, I was
>> dreading what I might find in mythmusic after upgrading
>> to 0.25, but it seems fine.
>
> I like it too and don't have a problem with the playlists, I seem to
> be able to do everything that I could do before.
>
> The one major issue I have, is with selecting an artist.  The old
> mythmusic subdivided the alphabet (A-F, G-K etc) with good reason;
> scrolling down through several hundred artists just takes forever.
> There's a search facility but that's not really feasible when using a
> remote.
>
> ...and I'd prefer keyboard shortcuts for the some of the menu options,
> particularly flipping to a blank screen and back. The old mythmusic
> interface may have been cryptic but was ideal for use with a remote.
> The 0.25 version looks more like it's intended for use with a mouse
> and keyboard.
>
> I'm am tempted to have a look to see if I can do anything about the
> above issues because I can see some good things in the new version,
> and I don't really want to run another application for music, but  I'm
> a hacker rather than a programmer so I'm not at all sure I'd get very
> far.  Really I'm hoping someone else picks mythmusic up and polishes
> it off.
>
> (Some people find the lack of a 'file system view' a showstopper,
> though that doesn't bother me)

I agree totally. Those few features you mention would be the most
beneficial to add. It might even be possible to add a file-system
view. I don't see why not (but I haven't looked at the code, so
maybe it's difficult). The lack of a file-system view is a pain
if you have a collection of disparate music tracks in a directory
which you like to play in sequence. I've already had to work
around that situation because of itunes. I just retagged the
tracks with a made-up album name that matched the directory
name.

Paul.