[mythtv-users] Labels instead of Recording Groups

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Mon Apr 23 21:44:27 UTC 2012

> This sounds like something to look forward to.
>>
>> I was wondering how wide a role you are planning for the labels?
>>
>> I've also been using Recording Groups as simple user accounts, but
>> something I've been trying to work out (and failing for the most part) is
>> how to bundle together recording rules so I only have to set the Recording
>> Group when creating a new recording schedule, and different  actions are
>> performed based on the selected recording group. For example,
>>
>> Person A wants her cooking programmes indefinitely  stored, so
>> auto-expire should be false
>> Person B only watches via a tablet after its been transcoded into xyz
>> format and copied to a network share
>> Person C is two, and so their programmes can be transcoded immediately
>> after commflagging so they don't see all the toy adverts.
>> Person D records dvb radio broadcasts, so if its a radio channel extract
>> the audio and move it to his podcast archive.
>>
>> Currently this is set up each time I set a new recording schedule, but
>> I've been thinking about implementing some script triggered at the end of
>> the recording which decides what to do based on Recording Group.
>>
>> The holy grail though, and i accept, probably a nightmare to engineer,
>> would be to define a user/tag/label and associated actions, and then when
>> creating a schedule, select the type of recording and who its for, - with
>> the normal scheduler options accessible behind an 'advanced' button for
>> when you occasionally need to tweak things further - like when one action
>> conflicts with another.
>>
>> Is this beyond what you're planning? If the answers 'yes', and i expect
>> it is, then thats fine. I can't code and don't expect anyone to do it for
>> me - i'll get on with the script and see if i end up with something robust
>> enough for the wiki...
>>

> At this point, yes, it's beyond my plans.  Once the labels are in place,
> it's quite possible that they will be extended and used for additional
> things.
>
> That said, a script-based approach using user jobs sounds like a good
> idea.  I'll try to remember to update the user job code to add a %LABELS%
> expansion.  And, if you create a script to do this (before and/or after
> labels), it would be welcomed on the wiki scripts category (
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/**Category:Scripts<http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Category:Scripts>+ specifically
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/**Category:User_Job_Scripts<http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Category:User_Job_Scripts>).
>
> Oh, and FWIW, eventually (though this one has been on the TODO list for
> many versions/years, now), we hope to allow recording rule templates (to
> allow you to define your preferred settings) so creating recording rules
> with non-default values should become easier.

Sounds like his thoughts are similar to mine with regard to tags... make
them more than just a way of organizing/filtering recordings... make them
the logic that the system uses to perform actions or report information
about the recordings as well.  A single recording could have many tags,
both user selectable and system generated, and all of those tags can be
used to filter the recordings using a single common interface (so I could
filter to show my HD movies that include closed captioning)  Obviously
starting with just user tags makes sense, but ultimately I would love to
see tags for post processing, and tags for recording details too.