[mythtv-users] Disk Space Way Wrong

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Mon Apr 23 01:29:50 UTC 2012

Ronald Frazier <ron at ronfrazier.net> says:
> First of all, I suggest rereading this thread starting from Marks
> original post and then continuing on for the next 7 posts or so.

[...]

> 20 minute later, Mark replies to himself "Here's a rough fix"
>
> Now, it should be obvious that mark wasn't sitting there hoarding
> his patch for this.

Yes, I agree that I didn't quite accurately represent the
events. After the above, Raymond Wagner threw the first punch, if you
will, with "So less a bug, and more a feature request (with a patch)
for a strange and uncommon configuration." That parenthetical
statement aside, this was hardly a fair way to respond to a proffered
patch. Mark, however, did not help matters with his multiple replies
insinuating that Raymond and other MythTV developers were Wintards
ignorant of something as basic as symlinks, and his willful refusal to
use Trac.

> And now people are bitching that they aren't satisfied he doesn't do
> more? Most people don't even do that much.

I can't disagree with the above.

> No, we are talking about not including the patch simply because we
> can't come up with a good reason why we shouldn't purposely continue
> to let myth calculate an incorrect value in some configurations.

Setting aside the bad feelings and politics and what not, why *not*
permit the use of symlinks in Storage Group definitions? Just because
I also can't think of a reason why I'd use a symlink in a Storage
Group doesn't meant that others, not just Mark, cannot, and in
Unixland the universal assumption is that symlinks can be used
transparently and are "just as good" as native file nodes except in
unusual cases. Yes, they may slightly impair performance but, again,
such a "risk" exists anywhere symlinks are used and that hasn't
stopped their availability, and popularity, on every POSIX system in
the past 35 years.

I had planned to insert the above paragraph in my previous message in
the thread and am amending that omission now. I still advise Mark to
file a Trac ticket; no matter how much he may protest that that's not
how LKML does things, Trac is what the MythTV project runs on. I also
ask him to consider submitting some of the other 100 patches to Trac;
whether bugfixes or feature enhancements, I have no doubt that others
will benefit from his long experience.

--
MythTV FAQ Q: "Cheap frontend/backend?" A: Revo, $200-300 @ Newegg
Q: "Record HD cable/satellite?" A: Hauppauge HD-PVR, $200 @ Newegg