[mythtv-users] hdhomerun and 0.25 gives me artifacts on HD channels

jakommo jakommo at gmail.com
Sun Apr 22 15:26:38 UTC 2012

On Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 4:18 PM, BobW <bob_pub_mailbox-mytv at yahoo.com>wrote:

>  On 4/22/2012 6:02 AM, jakommo wrote:
>
> I'm having trouble using my hdhomerun (HDHR3-EU) on mythtv 0.25. All the
> SD channels are working fine but on HD channels I get artifacts on LiveTV
> and recordings.
> I have a dedicated frontend/backend machine where I installed mythbuntu
> 12.04 Beta 2 (mythtv 0.25) + all updates for mythbuntu and mythtv.
> On another partition of the same machine I have my old installation of
> mythbuntu 10.10 (mythtv 0.23-fixes) where everything works fine including
> the HD channels, so I think its not an hardware failure.
> First I thought it was an VDPAU problem but the artifacts are also
> appearing using a non VDPAU profile.
> Using hdhomerun_config_gui and vlc from 12.04 HD works fine.
> As I'm aware that mythbuntu 12.04 is still in development I installed
> mythtv 0.25 (atrpms) on my CentOS 6 fileserver and used my Desktop as a
> fronted (Fedora 16 also atrpms). Same thing there, the HD channels have
> artifacts.
>
> A while back I already posted my problem on the mythbuntu forums, but as
> it seems its not a mythbuntu only problem. (I'm not familiar with the rules
> of the mailing list, is it ok to post the link to the forum here? I posted
> my logs there)
>
> I live in Germany and the setup is a satellite signal converted to cable.
> As it works on 10.10 I think its not a problem.
>
> Everyone here has  hdhomerun working with 0.25? (in Germany?)
> Any ideas what I can try?
>

> I just went from 0.23 to 0.24 and 10.10 to 11.04 and I started seeing
> similar behavior--more breakups in HD OTA signals.
> Searching on the SiliconDust website I found:
> *Packet loss
> On slower machines or machines under high load the maximum receive socket
> buffer size for the system should be increased to 1MB:
>
>     sudo sysctl -w net.core.rmem_max=1048576
> *
> This seems to have helped my situation, however, I still think I am
> getting more breakups under 11.04 than 10.10.
>
> The other thing the SiliconDust web site suggests is testing for packet
> loss:
> *Low level test for network packet loss - ATSC/QAM/DVB:
>
> 1) Run HDHomeRun Setup and go into the channel editor. Choose a physical
> channel number (for example CH102). This is the number before the - in the
> Tune column.
>
> 2) From a cmd prompt run:
> "C:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun\hdhomerun_config" FFFFFFFF set
> /tuner0/channel auto:<channel number>
> "C:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun\hdhomerun_config" FFFFFFFF save
> /tuner0 null
>
> Replace "<channel number>" with the physical channel number from HDHomeRun
> Setup (e.g. 102).
>
> If you have more than one HDHomeRun unit then replace "FFFFFFFF" with the
> device ID of the desired unit.
>
> You should see a series of dots. "n" indicates network packet loss. "t"
> [...]
Hi Bob,
thanks for your reply.

I increased net.core.rmem_max to 1048576 but I'm still getting the
artifacts.
Also tested for packet lost but I get:
-- Video statistics --
49056 packets received, 0 overflow errors, 0 network errors, 0 transport
errors, 0 sequence errors
So it seems noting is lost.

I think it has to be a software thing as it works fine after rebooting to
10.10 and also works from 12.04 using vlc.

Jakob
**