[mythtv-users] Sapphire remote-control driver for Mythtv: v3.0 released

Mark Lord mythtv at rtr.ca
Sun Apr 22 13:26:00 UTC 2012

On 12-04-11 05:50 PM, Mark Lord wrote:
..

>> Source available freely as always:  http://rtr.ca/sapphire_remote/

I will be making more updates to the driver for this remote in the future,
but those updates will not be announced by me on this mailing list.

So if you want to keep up with developments, just check the web site
once every couple of weeks to see what's new with the driver and remote control.

Right now, this is probably the most feature-full remote control for Mythtv
when used with this driver.

It can send *any* key sequence in response to a single button press,
including ALT/SHIFT/CTRL/META modifiers, macros, etc..

It has variable repeat rates per-button, with a smooth ramping repeat
available for things like the up/down buttons.

The driver can send different key sequences depending upon whether a button
is pressed/released or held down for more than a second -- I use this to
have the POWER button on the remote do two different things, for example.

The driver comes with a full internal keymap that matches Mythtv's default
key bindings as much as possible -- Mythtv doesn't have default mappings
for some functions though, so a bit of work in "Edit Keys" is still needed.

The user can optionally maintain an external keymap file that gets loaded
once per boot-up, to hold their own customizations outside of the driver's defaults.

I am considering providing a script to automatically interrogate the database
and configure key bindings and key mappings to just make it all work fully
automatically, but I don't know when that might occur.

So, pretty good feature set, and a decent and cheap (cost) remote control for Mythtv.

Enjoy, but do check the website for updates from now on.

Cheers