[mythtv-users] Disk Space Way Wrong

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Sat Apr 21 20:36:03 UTC 2012

On 4/21/2012 15:50, Ronald Frazier wrote:
> You complain because he never submitted a bug report.

Correct.  If he's going to go off telling people their issues are caused
by old known bugs, he needs to post a ticket so that we actually know
its a bug.

> If he had submitted a bug, you make it clear that it's not a
> bug but a feature request.

That's really up to the discretion of the person doing triage.  If it's
a behavior we don't want MythTV to have, or use of MythTV in some manner
it is not supposed to operate, it would be closed Invalid or Won't Fix.
If it's a behavior we could see useful in MythTV, but outside the scope
of the existing programming, it would be closed as a Feature Request
Without Patch, or left open if patch was included.  If it's something
MythTV is supposed to do, but is not doing it, it's a valid bug.

> However, if he had submitted the feature request with patch,
> you would still shoot it down because you think myth should
> purposely ignore symlinks because it's not a valid configuration.

In this case, he actually did provide a patch.  However, for the
specific case of definition of recording storage, I don't see any
utility in being able to define it using symlinks.  Consider recordings
as MythTV's own internal data, and all access to it must be done by
MythTV's rules.  Doing otherwise would be like writing something that
directly tinkered with the binary files of a MySQL database.  Sure you
can do it, but MySQL isn't going to support you doing so, or be
responsible if something goes wrong.  If you're not supposed to be doing
it in the first place, why support a configuration that only serves to
aid such actions?

With things like videos, music, and artwork switching over to access
through storage groups, these are things that actually do make sense for
external access.  If MythTV gains the ability to shuffle such content
around, and more specifically to shuffle it around to balance free space
between multiple partitions, this behavior will have to be revisited,
and at least within the context of non-recorded content, would become a
proper bug.

> So tell me, what COULD mark have done that would have pleased you?

If he comes across something he thinks is a bug, spend 30 seconds and
put a ticket up on Trac.  He already spent enough time to figure out it
was his use of symlinks that caused it, which is plenty to figure out
where the problem lies.  If there's not enough information to root out
or otherwise verify the issue, it gets marked as Info Needed, and closed
six weeks later if no response is given.  He, or anyone else, could
respond to give enough information to properly describe it and keep the
ticket alive.  At such point as the ticket is closed as invalid due to
an unsupported configuration, stop calling it a bug.  It's not a bug,
it's an unsupported configuration that when used, is known to cause at
least <whatever> incorrect behavior.