[mythtv-users] OT: Predicted hard drive failure; replacement consideration

Josh Mastronarde jmastron at gmail.com
Sat Apr 21 03:51:26 UTC 2012

On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 11:59 AM, James Hall <Hall.JamesR at gmail.com> wrote:

> I had a drive in my Windows 7 desktop fail on me in Feb. I think it was a
> seagate actually. Windows gave me a warning one morning and by that night
> it was dead. At least I got some of my least replaceable stuff off of it
> first before it died. It was 4 years old at least, I should check to see if
> there's a 5 year warranty and if I can get it replaced. 500gb is still not
> all that cheap.

It's worth checking -- Seagate has an online tool you can enter the model
and serial number in to see the warranty coverage (didn't need to find the
original receipt).  My drive itself was labeled as a 7200.11 OEM drive, so
I though it wouldn't qualify, but it had been a boxed retail purchase that
had been sold as a 7200.10 for some weird reason, and their system
correctly showed it eligible for warranty.

And it's often worth paying I think $10 for the "expedited" service -- they
ship the replacement first, with a prepaid return label, you stick the bad
drive in and send it back.  While it galls me to pay for replacing a
defective product, I couldn't find a way to ship it for less than that, not
to mention finding a box and packaging that they couldn't claim was the
cause of the damage.

Basically, $10 for a 500GB refurb drive is an okay deal (I ended up with a
600GB, because the first one they sent was a 7200.10, and they didn't have
any 7200.11 500GB to upped me to the next available size).  Probably
wouldn't be worth it for a much smaller drive.

Josh