[mythtv-users] Disk Space Way Wrong

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Fri Apr 20 16:51:56 UTC 2012

On 4/20/2012 12:40, Mark Lord wrote:
>>> There's the bug.  It should open the path, and the use fstatfs(fd, ..).
>>> Doing it that way would make symlinks transparent to it, as they should be.
>> So less a bug, and more a feature request (with a patch) for a strange and uncommon configuration.
> All eight mythtv setups that I know about have the same style of configuration.

So they're all strange.  Why not just point MythTV directly at the
directory?  MythTV only ever records to the root of the directory you
give it, so it's not like symlinking in multiple folders is going to get
you more storage space.  You still have to define each in mythtv-setup.
  It's not going to allow you to bypass some file permissions
restrictions.  Even if you frequently move the mount location of those
storage drives, symlinks are only slightly more convenient to change
than the values in mythtv-setup.

I'm just not understanding what benefit doing it that way could provide.