[mythtv-users] Mythfrontend Startup Tuning

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Thu Apr 19 21:14:11 UTC 2012

On 04/18/2012 11:04 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 04/18/2012 06:51 PM, Rich West wrote:
>> I just upgraded to mythtv 0.25 two nights ago, and I have to give major
>> kudos to the devs!! woo-hoo!  Super clean upgrade process, no real
>> downtime
>> = happy spouse!  :)  I had a little trouble with the themes not
>> working, but
>> that cleared itself up (to a degree).
>>
>> I did notice that the frontend process seemed to hang for several
>> seconds
>> upon startup before it displayed the mainmenu.xml content.  I looked
>> at the
>> logs, and saw a mess of DBus errors.  My frontend systems don't have any
>> optical drives in it (I'm in a full client-server model, where
>> everything
>> comes from the server), I was wondering how I can shave off the 5
>> seconds
>> (more than 50% of the startup time) where it logs the following errors.
>>
>> Frontend config:
>> MythTV 0.25
>> Fedora 16 (latest updates)
>> ATrpms install
>> XFCE (with auto login, trimmed down)
>>
>> Startup time is like 30.54 seconds (kernel) plus about another 18
>> seconds
>> starting X, and then ~8.4 seconds to bring up the mythtv menu.  I
>> know it
>> sounds silly, but those last 5 seconds of a blank mythtv theme
>> background
>> just seem the most painful (like it isn't doing anything).
>
> You're not running the udisks service (udisksd).  There was a change
> made to poll udisks to for the media monitor stuff.  It seriously
> needs rewriting, but the 5s delay on startup is lower impact to me (I
> also don't run udisks) than the amount of time it would take to
> rewrite it properly.
>
> Easiest workaround is to just install udisks.
> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/udisks
>
> I considered skipping the loop (which, btw, is only required for
> broken systems that start mythfrontend before required dependencies
> are started) when media monitor is disabled, but doing so would have
> prevented some other things from working for those who disable media
> monitor (like the CD/DVD eject functionality).  Therefore, I'm
> currently living with the 5s delay on startup (but since I only start
> mythfrontend occasionally and almost always when I'm not actually
> using the system, it's not a big problem, for now).

Cool. Thanks!  It figures, I was seeing this on my test machine, and it
turns out that is the only host that wasn't running udisks and therefore
the only one generating errors.

FWIW, I've got 4 frontends and the one backend.  The backend is on all
of the time (5 tuners), but the frontends are on/off a couple of times a
day, and not all of them at the same times.

-Rich