[mythtv-users] Cannot connect to mythconverg

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Apr 19 14:26:36 UTC 2012

On 04/19/2012 08:55 AM, David Crawford wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Since upgrading to 0.25 it worked for a while and then checking again I
> cannot connect to the mythconverg database and the mythbackend setup
> fails to run.
>
> When running 'mythbackend' from the terminal it asks me to configure the
> databse and I follow the instructions and at the end it tells me it
> cannot find (ping) the database mythconverg on the local network.
>
> Can anyone provide me with a bit of advice on how to get this to work
> again?

There are a number of possible reasons for this to fail: mysql may not
be set up properly, or myth may not be set up properly, so that it is
unable to talk to the mysql server.
Many have chased this phantom!

Read these threads on the myth list:

This thread starts as if the problem is with myth, but it actually was
mysql not running correctly. You probably need to start with the
checklist I set out at Post #11 of that thread.

If you are running a distro which uses systemd, the mysql startup seems
to be very fragile. In particular, all of the folders which mysql uses
MUST EXIST and have the correct ownership. The
/usr/libexec/mysqld-prepare-db-dir script is supposed to do that, but
sometimes things in /var/run do not get created.

Open /lib/systemd/system/mysqld.service in your editor-of-choice, and
from the command line, run the ExecStartPre, ExecStart and the
ExecStartPost command lines. Any errors will be visible and you can
track them down.

On Fedora16, I have one box which *would not* run ExacStartPost
properly. It appears that the $MAINPID variable was never passed to that
the mysql-wait-ready comamnd call (Why? Why not? NO idea). I added a
call to mysql-wait-ready $pid to the bottom of /usr/bin/mysqld_safe and
that now works...AND I have wasted more than a couple of hours trying to
figure out why it fails on one box, but not on the other 2...

This is the thread referred to in the thread above/

This thread covers more about the mythtv setup <-> mysql aspect.

HTH

Geoff