[mythtv-users] 0.25 audio output not working "correctly"

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 23:21:18 UTC 2012

Hi

On Thursday, 19 April 2012, Michael wrote:

> Hello Jean-Yves,
>
> This leads me to a follow on question or clarification.
>
> I have run the scan on 0.25.  After selecting the right nvidia device, the
> boxes for the HD audio (TrueHD, DTS-HD, etc) are not grey'ed out, but they
> are also not checked.  My receiver and nvidia card should support these.
>
> So I wasn't sure if the scan is telling me that those are not supported,
> or if I should just go to those boxes and check them to enable them.
>
> Michael

that they are not greyed out doesn't mean it's supported. They box will
always appear when an audio device report that it can do 192kHz and can do
8 channels audio.

The difficulty
With hdmi is finding the right one that works. There are usually more than
one, but only one works.
With mythtv 0.25 provided you have a very recent version of alsa, it can
*read* what device is connected: the name of the device, audio capabilities
etc..
Otherwise try each hdmi device, use the test feature: if you hear
something: it's the right one. When you find one that works; no need to
continuing testing the others: only one works.

Read this:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User_Manual:HDAudioPassthrough#Checking_your_TV_.2F_Amplifier_.2F_Audio_Processor_capabilities