[mythtv-users] Can I have dual audio out? Hdmi and spdif

mythtv at hambone.e4ward.com mythtv at hambone.e4ward.com
Wed Apr 18 17:50:47 UTC 2012

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 11:02 AM, Kevin Johnson <dabears_rule at yahoo.com>wrote:

> > Hi all.
> > I have been searching for a while and cant quite come up with an answer.
> > I have tried all possible settings in the audio setup section of
> mythtv.? But I can never get both to output at the same time.
> > I would like to be able to have the hdmi portion go to the tv, and the
> spdif go to my receiver at the same time?? Possible or no?
> > I have a link to all my alsa information and kernel version here as
> there is a lot of info.
> > I am using mythbuntu .24 with the latest fixes.
> > Thanks to all.
> >

> You can create a custom ALSA device by adding an entry to ~/.asoundrc
> ; that will output to both device at the same time.
> You have to keep the following limitations in mind:
> -You won't be able to do digital passthrough
> -It will be stereo only
>
> At this stage, and in the forthcoming future, Myth can only write to
> one audio device at a time and can only manage audio and video sync
> with one device.
> Managing more than one is actually far from being easy
>
> Ah, I understand. I want to keep the digital so that answers that.
> I wonder if one could start mythfrontend with a different configuration
> for each audio setup?
> Have one configured to use the hdmi out, and the other to use the spdif
> out?
> Possible?

How about a USB soundcard with digital audio out?  Would that solve your
problem?  I have a small Turtle Beach USB sound card that has optical out.
I got it for a different purpose (my onboard optical out was not supported
in Linux).  It's an older card (about 5 years old) but perhaps there is a
newer equivalent.  It works like a champ.  It was quite inexpensive.

Jerry