[mythtv-users] MythVideo question

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 17:32:28 UTC 2012

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 03:13, Mike Perkins
<mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk> wrote:
> I hope your firewall is up to scratch... far better to have an RFC 1918
> address and isolate yourself from the jungle.

Putting on my network hat, it is not RFC1918 addresses,
or NAT that protects you.  It is what most of the consumer
grade "routers"/"gateways" provide in addition, which is a
stateful firewall.  There are many kinds of NAT, some of
which provide 1-to-1 translation between internal RFC1918
ip addresses and external ip addresses.

And for the record, all of my networks and systems at
home have public IP addresses.  The router and the
hosts also implement stateful firewalling (I also firewall
between my networks; for example, my guest/visitor
network has no special access to my internal support
network).

Gary